Since 1879, we’ve been celebrating the great leaders of our country we’ve come to admire and often quote. So in honor of President’s Day and all who have served in the position with the intention of making this country the great one it is today, here are some quick, fun facts:
- The Teddy Bear was named after Theodore Roosevelt.
- Abraham Lincoln created the Secret Service.
- Andrew Jackson was the first president to use the toilet in the White House.
- President’s Day actually started out as “Washington’s birthday” but then got changed to President’s Day.
- President Jefferson kept two bears caged on the lawn of the White House and went for walks with them, occasionally.
- Abraham Lincoln often stored things like letters and documents in his tall stovepipe hat.
- John F. Kennedy was the first president who was a Boy Scout.
- John Tyler had 15 children; talk about a full house.
- The White House was not always referred to as the White House; it was given this official name by Theodore Roosevelt in 1901.